Thursday, April 17, 2008

Craft Lesson 9: Zoom

Discussion:
I think it is important that children see that people have different perspectives. This book, Zoom, presents this idea perfectly.

How To Teach It:
I would provide each of my student's a copy of the book. I would have them look at it individually and then we would discuss it as a group. I would be interested to see what the students would say about this book and what ran through their minds while "reading" it. Next, I would have each of them take a picture of something around the school (not showing the whole object though) with a disposable camera . Then after I developed the pictures, they would present their picture to the class. The other children would then have to guess what the picture represented. This would bring about many guesses, clarifying the many perspectives that people have of the same thing. For example, a student could have taken a picture of part of a picture frame. Some students may see that as a picture frame, a piece of fabric, a piece of art work, a piece of a door, etc.

2 comments:

Lacee E. Jones said...

Wow! This is kind of the same concept as mine!! I like it!

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

I like it as well! You could also have students exchange pictures before they each describe for the class what their original photo is of, then they'd have to do two short presentations: one is of a strange photo they have to describe out of thin air, so to speak, and the other would be of their own. This way kids can check their creative answers against the actual ones. It might be fun.