Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Chapters 6-8: Children's Literature Briefly

The part of this reading that really caught my attention was the idea of concrete poems. I really found these interesting and actually I had never seen one before I read the textbook. I like how the poem is meant to be seen more than heard. I would love to integrate these kind of poems into my classroom so that children could use their imaginations and actually "draw" a poem with words. Maybe this could be a good introductory lesson for the year about what children like to do in their free time; then, they could create a concrete poem about their hobbies. This way children could get to know each other, and I could get to know the children.

Tunnell, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Literature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Sadle River NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall, 2008.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Cassie: I like how you're already thinking in this "teacher" mode: what will work best for my students, and how can I do my part to ensure the best for them? Along with that, right, is the power to nix an assignment or project partway through when we see it's not working because it's not about how I look as a teacher or how great the writing turns out (let's say every kid in class writes a TAKS-styled essay week after week) though there's not life to the writing, no passion. You see it not doing anything for the students, so you modify. This is a great way to set the tone for the year: let students work in the form the already work in: drawing. But adding the word element.