Sunday, February 3, 2008

Good Night Texas

I made a trip to Hastings to find a board book to discuss for this class. There were a lot, so it was a hard decision. Eventually, I chose the book, Good Night Texas. I have lived in Texas my whole life and really do love it here, so that is why I chose this book. In summary, it is about two children experiencing a day in Texas. The children see cattle, wildflowers and Chisos Mountains at Big Bend National Park, Rio Grande rafters in a canyon, prairie dogs out on Texas Panhandle plains, bluebonnets, fishermen out on the Gulf of Mexico, the beach, Indians, cacti, horny toads, a rattlesnake, a bucking bronco, cypress trees in the Big Thicket National Preserve, an armadillo, an oil well, etc. It ends with the two children sleeping by a fire underneath the stars saying, "Good night, Texans". I liked this book, because it really hit home and showed the diversity just within Texas.

Gamble, A. Good Night Texas. Illus. Red Hansen. Our World of Books: South Korea. 2007.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Cassie: thanks for sharing this title. I think that the topic is very relevant to our culture that kids would very much enjoy it, plus it's educational I bet.