Monday, February 18, 2008

Yum! MmMm! Que rico!

I really like how this book is so informative. I really feel children will get a lot out of this book by reading the excerpts on the sides of the pages. Also, the pictures are beautiful and really do add a lot to the text. When I turned to the page where the character's father eats the chile, my mouth started watering; it reminded me of this one time I was eating with my parents at a Tex-Mex restaurant and I accidently ate a chile pepper...VERY HOT!! I really enjoy the imagery taking place in the text. I will definently read this book in my class, but I will be sure to read right before lunch time :).

Mora, Pat. Yum! MmMm! Que rico!. Illus. Rafael Lopez. Madison Avenue NY: LEE & LOW BOOKS Inc., 2007.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Cassie: how hilarious! I think of all the pictures in Mora's book, I like the ones that include images of family. I'm glad you liked the book. It's kind of tough to choose a title like this b/c there is such a great mix (wealth) of information. The poems are cool, and I can see myself asking students to write haiku or other short poems about food after they've researched the food's genesis, its uses, etc.