Thursday, February 28, 2008

Reading Plan and Journal: All Year 'Round

I plan to read All Year ‘Round by Stan and Jan Berenstain. The children I watch in after school daycare love The Berenstain Bears books; also, they love rhyming words, so I thought this would be a good choice. This book is also about the changing seasons, so I thought it would be relevant since this is what we are experiencing right now with the coming of spring. The age group I will read to is six to eight year olds. I wanted to see if they could guess the rhyming words that were coming up in the text by context clues and the pictures.

I first read the title and showed the two children the cover. They named all the seasons and said that spring was approaching. I then explained to them that I was going to cover up the word at the end of the sentence that rhymed with another word on the same page, and they would have to guess what the word was. At first, they had a hard time guessing the word, but then they started looking at the pictures and guessing the correct words. I really liked how this book had good rhythm to it; I felt like I was almost singing the story to them. They really liked saying the rhyming words aloud and kept getting louder and louder. I asked them prediction questions about what would happen with each upcoming season; they pretty much hit the nail on the head when answering these questions. Overall, I believe these two children really enjoyed this book. I know I enjoyed reading it to them; seeing their enthusiastic faces and hearing their enthusiastic answers was very rewarding.

Berenstain, Stan and Jan. All Year 'Round. New York NY: Golden Book/Western Publishing Company, Inc., 1993.

No comments: